Organic Coffee You Say? It’s The Only Way To Go!

  * Description: Coffee cortado (An latte...
Image via Wikipedia

I will give you a quick rundown of what organic really means, and why I think people should only drink organic coffee.

1) No synthetic fertilizers or herbicides may be used to grow certified organic crops.

2) Certified organic foods may not contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

3) To be labeled 100% organic items may only contain organic ingredients (excluding water and salt).

4) Products baring the organic label must contain at least 95% organic certified ingredients, and the remaining 5% must be components
otherwise not available in an organic form.

5) The USDA organic logo is allowed to be be printed on any 100% organic or “Organic” item.

6) Agricultural products labeled “100 percent organic” and “organic” cannot be produced using forbidden methods, sewage sludge, or ionizing radiation.

I’m not trying to belabor this issue with boring organic labeling information, but you need to understand what you’re getting into with “organic” products. I know you may be wondering when we’re going to get to the organic coffee, we’ll here we go. According to the definition of “organic”, organic coffee must be at least 95% organic.

You may be thinking, “who cares if my coffee was grown organically?” well here’s a few reasons:

1) Synthetic herbicides are awful enough, but just consider, sewage sludge!

2) There’s the , I’m going to play mad scientist with your food, issue. I don’t want my cup of Joe to have wombat genes mixed in just so the beans can have less bitterness.

3) For you decaffeinated coffee drinkers, organic coffee is your best friend. Conventional decaffeinated coffees are decaffeinated using toxic organic solvents such as methylene chloride and ethyl acetate. Organic decaffeinated coffee is processed using hot water, and NO chemicals. There is epidemiological evidence to suggest that drinking conventional decaffeinated coffees is associated with an increased risk of rheumatoid arthritis.

4) Chemicals are not good for the farmers. A lot of coffee farmers in 3rd world countries can’t read sufficiently, which may result in improper mixing of chemicals and inadequate protective clothing.

I could go on and on about why you should only purchase organic coffee. I haven’t even got into all the environmental damage that is caused by just manufacturing the pesticides and herbicides.

Lastly, one must think about the utter love and attention that comes from growing coffee organically. The farmers inspect and baby their crops, resulting in perfectly developed organic coffee. It’s never too late to start buying organic coffee. So give it a try, you may be surprised.

No TweetBacks yet. (Be the first to Tweet this post)
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.